Sala Serpieri (named after Arrigo Serpieri, an expert in agronomics) has six windows (of which three, smaller, in the upper part of the wall) with painted splays which overlook Corso Vittorio Emanuele II. This is the best preserved room in the building (12x12 metres). It is decorated with coffer ceilings adorned with rosettes, volutes and golden cupids. In the middle of the ceiling there is the Cardinal’s coat of arms (polychrome) and a galero.
The walls are entirely frescoed with fake architectures, which display windows fringed with pseudocaryatids overlooking rural landscapes with antique ruins.
In the upper part of the walls we can see figures of warriors and women between windows that show a cloudy sky. There is, also, a frieze with feminine figures, mermaids, marine divinities, with the Cardinal’s coat of arms in the middle of the four walls, contoured with fruit wreathes
The decoration below, painted, displays caryatids in the form of masculine and feminine figures, alternating with fake balustrades which overlook landscapes with antique ruins.
On the left-hand side wall, from the entrance, we can see the magnificent cipolin fireplace which displays, on the console, a Latin inscription (Cardinal Andrea della Valle, presbyter of St. Prisca, created it).
This is an evidence, besides the style of the paintings, of the fact that the decoration was created after February, 9th, 1531, when Andrea della Valle was elected Cardinal titular of St. Prisca.
The fireplace is surmounted by a fresco displaying a beautiful allegoric scene. Cecchino Salviati (Francesco de’ Rossi, 1510-1563) is generally considered to be the creator of the decorations, even though it would be more appropriate to think about the school of Giulio Romano (1499-1546) which, as we learn from the Italian art historian Giorgio Vasari, worked at the palace at that time.
The terracotta floor, which has been largely restored as in the other rooms of the piano nobile, used to display the Cardinal’s coat of arms, of which some traces are still visible nowadays.
It is still possible to see a sample of the original material of the floor, in a room next to Sala Serpieri.
Under the ceiling of the same room there is a classical stucco frieze with winged victories which hold the Del Bufalo’s coat of arms.