The EU’s horticultural sector

According to enquiries made by Eurostat with regard to the workings of EU farms almost 920 thousand have been dedicated to horticulture, something like 12.4% of all European farms with arable lands.
Almost half (49.4%) of these farms are in just three countries: Romania (22.1%), Poland (15.4%) and Spain (11.9%).  Whereas 15 countries represent quotas inferior to 1% each.
Two member States have lands for the cultivated of fresh vegetables far higher than the average: United Kingdom (17.4 hectares) and the Low Countries (10,3 hectares).  In thirteen member States, the average land mass destined to the growth of fresh vegetables is inferior to the EU average.  Amongst these, Romania and Bulgaria (both 0.3 hectares) and Lithuania (0.1 hectares).  This means that, on one hand, 14% of European land given to the cultivation of fresh vegetables refers to farms that cultivate on less than one hectare of land.  Such farms have represented 79.5% of all those that grow vegetables.  On the other hand, 20.5% of the farms with less than a hectare dedicated to the growth of fresh fruit represent 86% of the total EU lands destined to the cultivation of vegetables.
Source: Fresh Plaza